The process of confirming that stated facts are reliable, and a rubric to guide that process.
- sense-check, do you know the website or other source?
- remember your purpose, and titrate your level of effort accordingly
- if you are going to repeat a claim, that implies bnetter checking
Investigate the Source
- who wrote this?
- what is their expertise?
- what might be their motivation?
Find better coverage
- look for trusted sources that repeat (or refute) the claim
- look for consensus
- do you agree with the consensus?
- beware primary sources which require more expertise and context to analyse correctly
Trace claims, quotes, and media back to the original context
- many things on the internet are distorted by removal of context
- find the original source
- sense-check the version you are evaluating against the source
- How to evaluate stuff you learn on the internet (Eleanor Konik), retrieved 2022-11-20
- SIFT (The Four Moves) - Mike Caulfield, retrieved 2022-11-20